Many people plan for life events such as weddings and vacations well in advance, but many people do not plan for something that is certain to happen is their funeral service.
While most people do not want to think about their own mortality, the time to pre-plan your funeral service is now.
Taking the time now to arrange your funeral service is one less thing your loved ones will need to worry about once you’ve passed.
Pre-planning and pre-paying your funeral service is one of the most thoughtful gifts you can give to your family.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions that the funeral directors at Affinity Funerals receives about pre-paid funerals.
What is a pre-arranged funeral?
A pre-arranged funeral allows you to plan the details of a funeral service in advance.
These details are kept in our funeral director’s files and there is no need to pay until the time of the funeral service. Personnel preferences can be planned and budgeted for and these plans can be updated at any time.
You will gain peace of mind knowing that your details of the funeral service have been carefully considered and your funeral arrangements are in place.
What are the advantages of a pre-planned funeral?
The primary advantages of pre-arranging your funeral is to relieve the burden on your loved ones in an already emotional time, and to ensure your funeral is carried out according to your wishes, eliminating the task of second-guessing what you would have wanted. There are many benefits to pre-payment, which include:
- Pre-paying your funeral service reduces stress and financial burden on your loved ones after your passing. We can co-ordinate a payment plans that suits your needs, from a single payment plan to monthly bank account withdrawals. By pre-paying your funeral you eliminate your family second guessing on if they have spent too much or too little on your funeral.
- Pre-payment also protects you and your family from inflation, and the growth is non-taxable. Depending on your region, if your funeral service costs less than the amount you have put aside, those funds will be refunded back to your beneficiaries. For more information on what is applicable in your region, simply speak to your funeral director.
- Between 70 and 75 decisions are made within the first 24-48 hours of death. It’s difficult to think rationally while making so many decisions within days of losing someone, pre-planning gives yourself, family and friends peace of mind. Pre-planning gives your loved ones direction of your wants and desires.
- It’s easy. Anyone can do it, and you can change your mind at any time. The pre-planning funeral arrangement is designed to be flexible and can accommodate any life changes that often occur during the course of a lifetime.
Each year, thousands of people decide to pre-plan and pre-pay their funerals, giving their loved ones peace of mind when they are gone.
What are the things I can decide in advance?
You are able to decide a variety of things in advance, which include:
- Whether you would prefer a Burial or Cremation service as well as deciding your casket or urn type.
- What type of service you want (religious, military, non-traditional)
- Which funeral home to use.
- Who you would like your pallbearers to be as well as deciding on what music or readings you want at your service.